Classical Guitarists: Conversations
Fans of classical music and of the guitar will want to add Jim Tosone's book Classical Guitarists: Conversations to their library. Conversations is the first book to bring together in-depth first-person interviews with today's pre-eminent classical guitarists and the composers with whom they have worked closely. Along with the interviews are reviews of the artists' recordings and concerts, and discographies of their recordings. The book gives the reader a behind-the-scenes look at the lives, careers, experiences and thoughts of a select group of artists who have shaped and are continuing to shape the classical guitar world.
Guitarists include: Julian Bream, John Williams, Eliot Fisk, Sharon Isbin, David Starobin, David Tanenbaum and David Leisner. Composers include: Grammy Award Nominee Richard Rodney Bennett, and Pulitzer Prize winners George Crumb and Aaron Jay Kernis. Artist Managers include: Harold Shaw.
From Soundboard magazine
- “…chock full of fascinating information from cover to cover.”
- “Mr. Tosone has the knack for asking just the right question.”
- “…anyone with an interest in [new repertoire for the guitar] is likely to find the book a veritable gold mine of information.”
- “Mr. Tosone…brings out the special qualities of each [interviewee] with shrewdly conducted interviews.”
- “The book contains several attractive features, including and generous selection of photographs…[and]…a large number of concert and CD reviews.”
From Classical Guitar magazine
- “For those who love the guitar and have more than a passing interest in knowing what motivates a small handful of leading exponents, the book is an excellent read.”
- “The many insights in the book make it compulsive reading, perhaps even essential…”
- “Jim Tosone asks very good questions, and gets very good answers…”
- “…the true value of the book…lies in the revelation of character, intellect and philosophy among some of our leading guitarists…”
- “I wish this book could be made compulsory reading…”